Bio-Technical Resources, a fully integrated industrial biotechnology company, provides innovative solutions for the development and improvement of biotechnology products and processes. Through contract services, BTR scientists and engineers engage in research and development in the areas of strain development, fermentation development, downstream processing, and analytical and biochemistry method development.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual, with great attention to detail, who enjoys being a supportive team member. The Fermentation Scientist, under the direction of the Director of Research and Development, will work both independently and as part of a team to develop fermentation and biotransformation processes for the production of antibiotics, enzymes, metabolites, and therapeutic proteins. As a Fermentation Scientist, you will be in contact with current and prospective clients; you are in a strong position to influence their experience and satisfaction with BTR. This position requires tact, respect of confidentiality, and professionalism.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor that reflects the company’s commitment to quality, continuous improvement, and respect for all individuals.
- Communicate effectively with the Management Team, the Research Team, and the Administrative Team, informing and updating them regularly to guarantee that company objectives and clients’ project timelines and goals are met.
- Follow company systems and procedures.
- Participate as a key team player by supporting operations as needed.
- Comply with all safety requirements.
- Operate fermentation equipment including flasks and stirred fermenters from 1 liter to 250 liters.
- Execute work plans for fermentation experiments individually or as part of a team.
- Design and conduct fermentation experiments with a high level of excellence to ensure acquisition and accurate analysis of experimental data.
- Prepare samples for analysis and run the assays.
- Perform data analysis and interpretation to create sound conclusions.
- Prepare technical reports and presentations to communicate experimental outcomes.
- Prepare all assigned reports and correspondence accurately and on time.
- Complete other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Follow and comply with all safety and workplace rules and regulations. Maintain departmental housekeeping standards.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this role.
- A bachelor’s degree in life sciences or chemical engineering.
- Experience in microbial fermentation or chemical engineering with a biological / biochemical emphasis.
- Solid understanding of fermentation equipment, troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Excellent interpersonal and people skills.
- Strong attention to details and interested in preventing errors and solving problems.
- Able to perform multiple tasks efficiently with great time management skills.
- Ability to move freely throughout the building to gather information and materials as needed.
- A master’s or other post-secondary degree in life sciences or chemical engineering.
- Experience in designing experiments.
- Experience operating analytical instruments such as HPLC and GC.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. BTR is an equal opportunity employer.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and reach.
- Fast-paced environment at times: subject to schedule and priority changes and short notice activity.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. In the lab area, moderate to occasional loud noise level.
- Will require flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends, as fermentation processes often do not follow rigid schedules.
For confidential consideration, please forward your resume,
firstname.lastname@example.org (including the Job Code #121 in the message subject line)
By BTR website <https://www.biotechresources.com>
online form (including the Job Code #121 in the form subject line)